Welcome and thank you for choosing to visit my site. I am a very experienced and well established counselling psychotherapist based in Eccleston, Chorley. I have many thousands of counselling practice hours and have worked in private practice since 2000.
I believe that not only are the skills of the therapist and her endeavour to improve upon those skills an important part of the therapeutic outcome, yet also the quality of therapeutic relationships is important too. I endeavour provide empathic understanding and to make you feel relaxed and comfortable enough to explore your issues in confidence and without judgement, yet still provide sufficient challenge to create better insight into your presenting issues. I pride myself on being a reflective practitioner. I regularly update my own skills/expertise to not only improve upon my own personal development, but also to enable myself to be a more effective facilitator for you as my client.
I am Registered with the BACP Register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (2013)
I have been a Registrant MBACP member since 1999. I am also a Registrant of the UKCP (United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy 2009). I am an Accredited Consultant (Europe) in Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing Practitioner (EMDR). 2012 I am a Registered Hypno-Psychotherapist. strong>). I am a qualfied Counselling Supervisor and have a Diploma in Clinical Casework Supervision (2002). I also have a degree in Psychology, (2001).
I have trained in levels 1 and 1 in Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT, 2010).
I have a clear enhanced CRB check.
WHAT DO I SPECIALISE IN?
I work with a range of issues including:- relationship issues, both oppositve and same sex couple counselling, domestic violence and/or safety issues, symptoms of post traumatic stress and trauma; bereavement/grief & loss; depression/low mood; poor confidence and low self-esteem; trust issues, infidelity and betrayals; anger management, parenting and second/conjoined families; (psycho) sexual related issues including sex addiction, confusion around sexual orientation; separation & divorce; stress & work-based stress; anxiety including social anxiety, pain management & preparation for labour; loss of direction/meaning in life, career and life stage transitions, retirement, and ageing, redundancy & the empty nest syndrome.
AS a new EMDR practitioner I work with trauma based symptoms including road traffic accidents; accidents within the workplace; aftermath of a suicide; grief and loss, victims of crime; victims of child sexual abuse and sexual assault, amongst many other issues.
In accordance to your unique needs I can integrate a combination of Hypnosis and EMDR treatment as an adjunct to your therapy. This may include work around pain management, symptoms of IBS, psycho-sexually related pain; phobias and fears; addictions/compulsions, (e.g smoking, over or under eating, addiction to pornography or sex addition, gambling, nail-biting, fear of wasps/spiders etc.).
Relationship issues are a common cause of emotional distress. A solid understanding of why difficulties arise can be very beneficial in getting a relationship back on track.
I have been formally trained by Relate as a Couple’s Counsellor and offer one hour weekly sessions to couples in need to address issues within their relationship.
I can offer intensive one and two day Couple’s therapy for you and your partner. These days are tailored to support you as a couple in this process of change.
Workshops on relationship counselling
I run half day workshops for people who are trying to get over a broken heart and find they are repeating patterns of behaviour within relationships. If you are interested in attending, please email me for further details.
I am a:-
- Full Registrant of the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy, (UKCP, since 2009)
- MBACP member of the British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy, (BACP, since 1999)
- Fellow of the National Council for Hypno/Psychotherapists, (NCHP, since 2004); (FNCHP, since 2011)
- Accredited EMDR Europe Consultant of the EMDR Association, (UK, & Ireland, since 2011 Accreditation; 2016 Consultancy. )
- Registrant of the BACP Register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (since 2013)..
- THERAPY MODESI offer : –
- Face to face talking therapy for both individuals and/or couples.
- EMDR & Hypnosis for individuals
- Online counselling psychotherapy via e-mail or/and instant skype text chat and/or in combination with face to face counselling for indidivduals.
- Short/Medium & Longer term therapy.
WHAT IS MY AIM?
Working alongside you, my aim is to put you at ease, providing a confidential and contained environment for you to discuss your issues openly without judgement.
I strive towards the provision of a safe, (yet challenging), non-judgmental, (yet congruent), therapeutic treatment, which will hopefully be mutually maintained between us.
To facilitate the process of self-acceptance and enable change to take place, I also honour the healing power of the therapeutic relationship between client and therapist.
By formulating your realistic goals and exploring your thoughts, values, feelings and behaviours, I encourage you to be yourself and explain what is troubling you most at this time. The overall intention is to help you to help yourself and to enhance your mental health & personal well-being.
WHAT SUPERVISION DO I HAVE?
As part of working ethically and within the confines of the Code of Ethics I adhere to, I have regular ongoing supervision with three separate supervisors:- (a trained Hypno/Psychotherapist, a NHS Clinical Psychotherapist/Sex Therapist;an EMDR Consultant/Psychologist). I also engage in peer supervision to enhance clincial practice.
DO I OFFER SUPERVISION?
I am a qualified supervisor and offer supervision to both trainee and qualified counsellors.
WHAT DOES THERAPY OFFER YOU?
People generally seek out psychotherapy with a need to alleviate some current, on-going stressor, change behaviour and/or to address the root of a problem. The therapy will essentially assess where you are now in relation to what you want to achieve, formulate specific and realistic goals, and facilitate the process of you achieving these goals, finding a more satisfying pathway. The aim is to to put you (the client) in touch with yourself so that you can make necessary changes and work towards a process of self-empowerment. I consider that the therapist is responsible to you and not for you.
MY PERSONAL PHILOSOPHY IS:-
Respect, compassion, patience, empathy and appropriate challenge to aid personal awareness are running themes throughout my work. I encourage you to determine the direction of therapy, putting you at the centre of therapeutic encounter.
WHO I AM?
I am an Integrative Counsellor/Psychotherapist which means I use a combination of approaches that best suit your needs.
My main approaches to the therapeutic process include person centred, psycho-dynamic, systemic, E.M.D.R. and Hypnosis, some of which may be integrated into the therapeutic treatment as appropriate, and with your informed consent.
I began my training in 1997 and qualified as a person-centred counsellor in 1999. I have worked as a counsellor in a variety of settings including:-
- Well Women’s Centre
- Male Prison
- Bereavement Centre (CRUSE: Supervisor & Bereavement Counsellor)
- RELATE (Relationship & Couples Counsellor)
- Student Services (UCLAN)
- Employment Assistance Programmes & Insurance Agencies
- and for various organisations Offering therapeutic assistance to their employees (Freelance)
MY PATHWAY INTO COUNSELLING/PSYCHOTHERAPY
During the late 1980’s to mid 1990’s I worked as a Lecturer in several Further & Higher Education teaching establishments where I taught Business & Management Studies and Leisure & Tourism & Sports Management. From this I developed an interest in working with some of the emotional needs of students. I think this is where the seed for entering into the psychotherapy and counselling arena first originated. I also believe that therapeutic counselling is a psycho-educative process.
After qualifying as a person-centred counsellor in 1999, I developed further interest in how client’s presenting issue(s) impact on other family members, particularly in couple relationships, and began my training in Couple and Relationship Counselling (opposite and same sex) with Relate in 1999 where I worked until early 2004.
My background in psychodynamic theory has informed me of the importance the subconscious plays in our behaviour and habits. My developed interest in the subconscious encouraged me to train as a HYPNO/ PSYCHOTHERAPIST in 2003.
In 2010 and 2011, I trained and incorporated a psychotherapeutic technique known as Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) into my practice. I am now an accredited EMDR therapist with the EMDR Association (Ireland & UK).
THE INITIAL CONSULTATION
Prior to commencing the therapeutic process, you are asked that you attend an initial consultation (first session). This will last up to 60 minutes. There is a fee for this. (Please refer to my fees below).The aim of the initial consultation is to :
- Provide a framework for the therapeutic work and a starting point to help you to better manage your presenting issues.
- Enable you to get a feel for what counselling/psychotherapy involves and how it may help your specific needs.
- Enable you to ask any questions or raise any concerns before making an informed commitment to attend further sessions.
- Offer space and time to discuss the practicalities of counselling such as cancellations, fees, confidentiality and the general rules that both client and counsellor must abide by.
- To enable me as your Therapist to make an assessment of your presenting problems and for us to identify the main goals you have for future sessions.
- To ascertain the suitability of the possible length of therapy.
- More importantly, this initial session is designed for you to make an assessment of me and to decide if you can work with me. Attending an initial assessment does not mean that you are obliged to continue with the therapy.SPECIAL INTERESTS
- I have a keen interest in research around self-harm, trauma & pain management.PERSONAL INTERESTS
My family and close relationships are important to me.
I enjoy engaging in personal development. I practice yoga and mindfulness.
I like to swim swimming and go walking in the Lakes. I consider that training the mind and exercising the body within your limits is fundamental to emotional, mental, physical and spiritual wellbeing. I completed the three peaks and 6 marathons which was a real personal endeavour. Alas, my marathon days are now over since rupturing my Achilles.
EXPERIENCE OF LIVING ABROAD
I have experienced living in France & during the 2000’s.
MY THERAPY ROOM
I work from a comfortable, spacious, well equipped dedicated counselling room which is situated inside my home. The room is easily accessed being to your immediate left upon entry. The room has plenty natural light. There is artifical recessed dimmer controlledl lights if you light light sensitive. All windows have adjustable blinds just to ensure your privacy. It’s nice and warm and inviting and is central heated and has a flame effect gas fire. There is easy access to a washroom facility and parking spaces are closeby.
I do not have a waiting room and therefore ask that you do not arrive early for your appointment as unfortunately I do have not have anywhere to accommodate you prior to your appointment.
There are no stairs to negotiate.
There is usually sufficient DISABLED access to the counselling room.
The bathroom facilities are not suitable for disabled access in a wheelchair.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Certificate of Proficiency awarded by the BACP REgister of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (2013)
- Accredited member of the EMDR Association, (UK, & Ireland, 2012)
- Trained in Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing, (EMDR Europe/Ireland, 2011) Registered with the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP, 2009) (Hypno/Psychotherapy Section)
- Audited and audit approved by the UKCP (April 2010)
- Advanced Diploma in Hypno/Psychotherapy, (ADHP) by NCHP (2009)
- onlinecounsellors.co.uk (online counselling training), (2006)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Hypno/ Psychotherapy, Centra Training (2004)
- Certificate in Basic Sexual and Relationship Therapy, UCLAN (2004)
- Relate Certificate in Marital and Couple Counselling Theory and Practice, RELATE (2003)
- Cruse Bereavement Care Accredited Counsellor (Chorley & S. Ribble) (2003)
- Cruse Bereavement Care Supervisor (Chorley & S. Ribble) (2002)
- Diploma in Casework Supervision, PCCS awarded by ABC (2002)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Psychological Studies, UCLAN (2001)
Advanced Diploma in Person Centred Counselling, Wigan & Leigh College, Centra (1999)OTHER QUALIFICATIONS
- Post Graduate Certificate in Professional Studies in Education, Open University, (2004)
- Masters Degree in Education, Open University, (1996)
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Studies, Lancashire Polytechnic, (1990)
- Certificate in Education (FE) Bolton Institute of Higher Education awarded by the Victoria and Salford University, (1988)
- HNC Business & Management Studies (Bolton Institute of Higher Education)CONTINUOUS PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT 2009-2011
- Effective Anger Management, (2009)
- Understanding Identity, Exploring Differences and Challenging
- Nurturing Young People’s Mental Health through the Counselling
- Exploring Creative Ways of Building on Young People’s Resillience, (2009)
- Exploring Trauma Faced by Young People, (2009)
- Good Practice in Counselling Assessment, (2009)
- EMDR Practitioner, (2010, 2011)
- Working with Dissociation (2011)
- Understanding and Working with Self-Harm (2011)
- EMDR Workshop & Conference (Durham, 2011)
- Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT) Levels I & II (2011)
- Body Image Disturbance in Eating Disorders & the Application of EMDR in Treatment (2011)
- Dissociation, Trauma and Time-Travelling or Living and Working with Dissociative Identity Disorder (2011)
- Hypnosis for Fertility easybirthing (2012)
- Mindfulness (2012)
- EMDR for veterans (2013)
- Ongoing training as an EMDR Consultant (2013 ongoing)
- Introductory Mindfulness Practitioner Foundation Course (2014)
- Sex Addiction (2014)
- Neuroscience and Psychodynamic Theory (2015)