I am a very experienced and well established counselling psychotherapist based in Eccleston, Chorley.
I specialise in trauma and relationship counselling.
I am an Accredited EMDR Europe Therapist, 2012 and an EMDR Europe Consultant Supervisor, 2016
I am also a RELATE Certified Relationship & Couples therapist, 2004
I am a Hypno/Psychotherapist offering a combination of Hypnosis and Psychotherapy.
The main focus of my work as an integrative Psychotherapist involves dealing with unresolved life events that are causing certain disturbances in your everyday life, manifesting in either depression, anxiety and/or stress related symptoms.
I believe that not only are the therapist’s skills and training an important component of the successful therapeutic outcome, so too is the quality of therapeutic relationship between the therapist and the client.
As such I endeavour to make you feel relaxed and comfortable enough to explore your issues in confidence without judgement, yet still provide sufficient challenge and empathic understanding to help you gain greater insight into your presenting issues.
I pride myself on being a reflective practitioner. I regularly update my own skills/expertise to not only improve upon my own personal development, but also to enable myself to be a more effective therapist.
I am Registered with the BACP Register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (2013)
I have been a Registrant MBACP member since 1999.
I am also a Registrant of the UKCP (United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy 2009).
I am an Accredited EMDR Europe Consultant, (2012) & (2016)
I am a Registered Hypno-Psychotherapist, (2003)
I have a Diploma in Clinical Casework Supervision, (2002)
I have a degree in Psychology, (2001).
I have trained in levels 1 and 1 in Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT, 2010)
I have a clear enhanced CRB check.
WHAT DO I SPECIALISE IN?
I work with a range of issues.
Amongst many these include:-
opposite and same sex couple counselling, domestic violence and/or safety issues, symptoms of post traumatic stress & trauma
addictions including alcohol, eating disorders
bereavement/grief and loss
poor confidence and low self-esteem
trust issues including infidelity & betrayals
parenting and second/conjoined families
psycho-sexual related issues including sex addiction, confusion around sexual orientation; separation and divorce; stress and work-based stress
anxiety including social anxiety
pain management, including Hypno birthing
loss of direction/loss of meaning in life career and life stage transitions retirement, and ageing, redundancy and empty nest syndrome.
As an EMDR practitioner I work with trauma based symptoms, including road traffic accidents; accidents within the workplace; aftermath of a suicide; grief and loss, victims of crime; victims of child sexual abuse and sexual assault, amongst many other issues.
In accordance to your unique needs I can integrate a combination of Hypnosis and EMDR treatment as an adjunct to your therapy. This may include work around pain management, symptoms of IBS, psycho-sexually related pain; phobias and fears; addictions/compulsions, (e.g smoking, over or under eating, addiction to pornography or sex addition, gambling, nail-biting, fear of wasps/spiders etc.).
Relationship issues are a common cause of emotional distress. A solid understanding of why difficulties arise can be very beneficial in getting a relationship back on track.
I have been formally trained by Relate as a Couple’s Counsellor and offer one hour weekly sessions to couples in need to address issues within their relationship.
I am a:-
- Full Registrant of the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy, (UKCP, since 2009)
- MBACP member of the British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy, (BACP, since 1999)
- Fellow of the National Council for Hypno/Psychotherapists, (NCHP, since 2004); (FNCHP, since 2011)
- Accredited EMDR Europe Consultant of the EMDR Association, (UK, & Ireland, since 2011 Accreditation; 2016 Consultancy)
- Registrant of the BACP Register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (since 2013)
- Face to face talking therapy for both individuals and/or couples.
- EMDR & Hypnosis for individuals
- Online counselling psychotherapy via e-mail or/and instant skype text chat and/or in combination with face to face counselling for indidivduals.
- Short/Medium & Longer term therapy.
THERAPY MODES offered : –
WHAT IS MY AIM?
Working alongside you, my aim is to put you at ease, providing a confidential and contained environment for you to discuss your issues openly without judgement.
I strive towards the provision of a safe, (yet challenging), non-judgmental, (yet congruent), therapeutic treatment, which will hopefully be mutually maintained between us.
To facilitate the process of self-acceptance and enable change to take place, I also honour the healing power of the therapeutic relationship between client and therapist.
By formulating your realistic goals and exploring your thoughts, values, feelings and behaviours, I encourage you to be yourself and explain what is troubling you most at this time. The overall intention is to help you to help yourself and to enhance your mental health & personal well-being.
WHAT SUPERVISION DO I HAVE?
As part of working ethically and within the confines of the Code of Ethics I adhere to, I have regular ongoing supervision with three separate supervisors:- (a trained Hypno/Psychotherapist, a NHS Clinical Psychotherapist/Sex Therapist;an EMDR Consultant/Psychologist). I also engage in peer supervision to enhance clincial practice.
DO I OFFER SUPERVISION?
I am a qualified supervisor and offer supervision to both trainee and qualified counsellors.
WHAT DOES THERAPY OFFER YOU?
People generally seek out psychotherapy with a need to alleviate some current, on-going stressor, change behaviour and/or to address the root of a problem. The therapy will essentially assess where you are now in relation to what you want to achieve, formulate specific and realistic goals, and facilitate the process of you achieving these goals, finding a more satisfying pathway. The aim is to to put you (the client) in touch with yourself so that you can make necessary changes and work towards a process of self-empowerment. I consider that the therapist is responsible to you and not for you.
MY PERSONAL PHILOSOPHY
Respect, compassion, patience, empathy and appropriate challenge to aid personal awareness are running themes throughout my work. I encourage you to determine the direction of therapy, putting you at the centre of therapeutic encounter.
WHO I AM?
I am an Integrative Psychotherapist which means I use a combination of approaches that best suit your needs.
My main approaches to the therapeutic process include person centred, psycho-dynamic, systemic, E.M.D.R. and Hypnosis, some of which may be integrated into the therapeutic treatment as appropriate, and with your informed consent.
I began my training in 1997 and qualified as a person-centred counsellor in 1999. I have worked as a counsellor in a variety of settings including:-
- Well Women’s Centre
- Male Prison
- Bereavement Centre (CRUSE: Supervisor & Bereavement Counsellor)
- RELATE (Relationship & Couples Counsellor)
- Student Services (UCLAN)
- Employment Assistance Programmes & Insurance Agencies
- and for various organisations Offering therapeutic assistance to their employees (Freelance)
MY PATHWAY INTO COUNSELLING/PSYCHOTHERAPY
During the late 1980’s to mid 1990’s I worked as a Lecturer in several Further & Higher Education teaching establishments where I taught Business & Management Studies and Leisure & Tourism & Sports Management. From this I developed an interest in working with some of the emotional needs of students. I think this is where the seed for entering into the psychotherapy and counselling arena first originated. I also believe that therapeutic counselling is a psycho-educative process.
After qualifying as a person-centred counsellor in 1999, I developed further interest in how client’s presenting issue(s) impact on other family members, particularly in couple relationships, and began my training in Couple and Relationship Counselling (opposite and same sex) with Relate in 1999 where I worked until early 2004.
My background in psychodynamic theory has informed me of the importance the subconscious plays in our behaviour and habits. My developed interest in the subconscious encouraged me to train as a HYPNO/ PSYCHOTHERAPIST in 2003.
In 2010 and 2011, I trained and incorporated a psychotherapeutic technique known as Eye Movement Desentitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) into my practice. I am now an accredited EMDR therapist with the EMDR Association (Ireland & UK). I also engaged in further training in 2016 to become an EMDR Europe Consultant Supervisor. This has enabled me to offer EMDR consultation to trained EMDR Europe trained therapists.
In 2017/2018 I undertook training in phases 1 & 2 of Brainspotting. Brainspotting is another psychotherapeutic technique that accesses trauma memories using our field of vision.
THE INITIAL CONSULTATION
Prior to commencing the therapeutic process, you are asked that you attend an initial consultation (first session). This will last up to 60 minutes. There is a fee for this. The aim of the initial consultation is to :
- Provide a framework for the therapeutic work and a starting point to help you to better manage your presenting issues.
- Enable you to get a feel for what counselling/psychotherapy involves and how it may help your specific needs.
- Enable you to ask any questions or raise any concerns before making an informed commitment to attend further sessions.
- Offer space and time to discuss the practicalities of counselling such as cancellations, fees, confidentiality and the general rules that both client and counsellor must abide by.
- To enable me as your Therapist to make an assessment of your presenting problems and for us to identify the main goals you have for future sessions.
- To ascertain the suitability of the possible length of therapy.
- More importantly, this initial session is designed for you to make an assessment of me and to decide if you can work with me. Attending an initial assessment does not mean that you are obliged to continue with the therapy.
PERSONAL INTERESTS AND EXPERIENCE OF LIVING ABROAD
I enjoy swimming, walking and hiking and engaging in personal development.
have experienced living in France & during the mid 2000’s.
MY THERAPY ROOM
I work from a comfortable, spacious, well equipped dedicated counselling room which is situated inside my home. The room is easily accessed being to your immediate left upon entry. The room has plenty natural light. There is artifical recessed dimmer controlledl lights if you light light sensitive. All windows have adjustable blinds just to ensure your privacy. It’s nice and warm and inviting and is central heated and has a flame effect gas fire. There is easy access to a washroom facility and parking spaces are closeby.
I do not have a waiting room and therefore ask that you do not arrive early for your appointment as unfortunately I do have not have anywhere to accommodate you prior to your appointment.
There are no stairs to negotiate.
There is usually sufficient DISABLED access to the counselling room.
The bathroom facilities are not suitable for disabled access in a wheelchair.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Certificate of Proficiency awarded by the BACP REgister of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (2013)
- Accredited member of the EMDR Association, (UK, & Ireland, 2012)
- Trained in Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing, (EMDR Europe/Ireland, 2011) Registered with the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP, 2009) (Hypno/Psychotherapy Section)
- Audited and audit approved by the UKCP (April 2010)
- Advanced Diploma in Hypno/Psychotherapy, (ADHP) by NCHP (2009)
- onlinecounsellors.co.uk (online counselling training), (2006)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Hypno/ Psychotherapy, Centra Training (2004)
- Certificate in Basic Sexual and Relationship Therapy, UCLAN (2004)
- Relate Certificate in Marital and Couple Counselling Theory and Practice, RELATE (2003)
- Cruse Bereavement Care Accredited Counsellor (Chorley & S. Ribble) (2003)
- Cruse Bereavement Care Supervisor (Chorley & S. Ribble) (2002)
- Diploma in Casework Supervision, PCCS awarded by ABC (2002)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Psychological Studies, UCLAN (2001)
Advanced Diploma in Person Centred Counselling, Wigan & Leigh College, Centra (1999)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Professional Studies in Education, Open University, (2004)
- Masters Degree in Education, Open University, (1996)
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Studies, Lancashire Polytechnic, (1990)
- Certificate in Education (FE) Bolton Institute of Higher Education awarded by the Victoria and Salford University, (1988)
- HNC Business & Management Studies (Bolton Institute of Higher Education)
CONTINUOUS PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Effective Anger Management, (2009)
- Understanding Identity, Exploring Differences and Challenging
- Nurturing Young People’s Mental Health through the Counselling
- Exploring Creative Ways of Building on Young People’s Resillience, (2009)
- Exploring Trauma Faced by Young People, (2009)
- Good Practice in Counselling Assessment, (2009)
- EMDR Practitioner, (2010, 2011)
- Working with Dissociation (2011)
- Understanding and Working with Self-Harm (2011)
- EMDR Workshop & Conference (Durham, 2011)
- Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT) Levels I & II (2011)
- Body Image Disturbance in Eating Disorders & the Application of EMDR in Treatment (2011)
- Dissociation, Trauma and Time-Travelling or Living and Working with Dissociative Identity Disorder (2011)
- Hypnosis for Fertility easybirthing (2012)
- Mindfulness (2012)
- EMDR for veterans (2013)
- Introductory Mindfulness Practitioner Foundation Course (2014)
- Sex Addiction (2014)
- Neuroscience and Psychodynamic Theory (2015)
Training, qualifications & experience
Parts 1 & 2 Brainspotting (BSPUK, 2017/2018)
EMDR Europe Accredited Consultant (2016)
Certificate of Proficiency awarded by the BACP Register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (2013)
Accredited member of the EMDR Association, (UK, & Ireland, 2012)
Trained in Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing, (EMDR Europe/Ireland, 2011)
Registered with the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP, 2009) (Hypno/Psychotherapy Section)
Audited and audit approved by the UKCP (April 2010)
Advanced Diploma in Hypno/Psychotherapy, (ADHP) awarded by the National Council for Hypnosis & Psychotherapy (NCHP, 2009) after completing (with distinction) a Dissertation on Pain Management using Hypnosis, leading to UKCP Registration
onlinecounsellors.co.uk (online counselling training), (2006)
Post Graduate Diploma in Hypno/ Psychotherapy, Centra Training (2004)
Certificate in Basic Sexual and Relationship Therapy, UCLAN (2004)
Relate Certificate in Marital and Couple Counselling Theory and Practice, RELATE (2003)
Cruse Bereavement Care Accredited Counsellor (Chorley & S. Ribble) (2003)
Cruse Bereavement Care Supervisor (Chorley & S. Ribble) (2002)
Diploma in Casework Supervision, PCCS awarded by ABC (2002)
Post Graduate Diploma in Psychological Studies, UCLAN (2001)
Advanced Diploma in Person Centred Counselling, Wigan & Leigh College, Centra (1999)
Post Graduate Certificate in Professional Studies in Education, Open University, (2004)
Masters Degree in Education, Open University, (1996)
Bachelor of Arts in Business Studies, UCLAN (1990)
Certificate in Education (FE, Business Studies) Bolton University (1988)
HNC Business Studies Bolton University, (1986)
BTEC National Diploma in Business Studies Bolton College (1984)
CONTINUOUS PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT 2009-2011
Effective Anger Management, (Harrogate, 2009)
Understanding Identity, Exploring Differences and Challenging
Prejudice, (Harrogate, 2009)
Nurturing Young People’s Mental Health through the Counselling
Relationship, (Oldham, 2009)
Exploring Creative Ways of Building on Young People’s Resillience, (Oldham, 2009)
Exploring Trauma Faced by Young People, (Oldham, 2009)
Good Practice in Counselling Assessment, (Oldham, 2009)
EMDR Accredited Practitioner, EMDR extra 18 hours (York, 2010, 2011)
Living with Dissociation. PODS workshop. 6 hours (Leeds, 2011)
Understanding and Working with Self-Harm. A psychotherapeutic Approach. 6 hours (York, 2011)
3rd EMDR Autumn Workshops & Conference. 6 hours (Durham, 2011)
Emotional Freedom Techniques Tania A Prince Associates (EFT) 12 hours Levels I & II (Manchester, 2011)
Body Image Disturbance in Eating Disorders & the Application of EMDR in Treatment. Pam Virdi. 6 hours. (Birmingham, 2011)
Dissociation, Trauma and Time-Travelling or Living and Working with Dissociative Identity Disorder 6 hours (Preston 2011)
EMDR Accreditation Group 24 hours (Chorley, 2010)
Hypnosis for Easybirthing (Manchester, 2012)
Mindfulness 6 hours (2012)
Person Centred Encounter Weekend. 20 hours. (Kendal, 2012)
EMDR & Veterans Skills Master Class, The Northern Centre Mindfulness, 6 hours (York, 2013)
Person Centred Encounter Weekend. 20 hours (Kendal, 2013)
Introductory Mindfulness Practitioner Foundation Course 6 hours (York, 2014)
Person Centred Encounter Weekend. 20 hours (Kendal, 2014)
Sex Offending – Sex addiction Pips North West 12 hours (Manchester, 2014)
Neuroscience and Psychodynamic Theory Webinar nscience 3 hours (2015)
Assessment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from an attachment Perspective. nscience 12 hours. (London, 2015)
EMDR & Psychosis Conference. Lancashire Care Foundation Trust. 6 hours (Lancaster, 2015)
EMDR for Perinatal Trauma, OCD and Morbid Jealousy Workshop. North West EMDR Regional Group UK. 6 hours (Bristol, 2015)
EMDR Conference 6 hours (York, 2015)
EMDR Uk & Ireland Consultancy Training 27 hours (London 2016)
EMDR Conference 6 hours (Newcastle, 2016)
nScience PTSD Therapeutic Options & Considerations 7 hours (London, 2016)
Working with perfectionism with Windy Dryden 2 hours (2016)
EMDR and Depression 3 hours (Birmingham, 2016)
EMDR for people with Aspergers 3 hours (Birmingham, 2016)
EMDR Workshop Blind to Therapist Protocol 6 hours (Birmingham, 2017)
LCCH Weight Control for the 21st Century, 5.5 hours (Bristol, 2017)
EMDR European Conference, “The Psychotherapy of the 21st Century 14 hours (Barcelona, Spain 2017). Seminars included: child abuse, brain development and psychotherapy. Treating complex PTSD. Complex trauma, attachment and dissocation using EMDR with children with pervasive emotional dysregulation, healing attachment wounds and the relationship between dissociation and psychosis.
Brainspotting Humanitarian Training, Phase one. 3 days, 24 hours (Manchester, 2017).
Working with the body in EMDR therapy, 6 hours, (Birmingham, 2017).
Brainspotting Phase Two. 2 days, 16 hours, (Manchester, 2018).
EMDR European Conference, “a crossroads between Psychotherapy and neuroscience” (Strasbourg, 2018), 16 hours.